The origin of this town is linked to the Desert Campaign and the laying of the railway line Bahía Blanca - Neuquén. After the campaign, Colonel Pablo Campero Belisle asked the government claiming to occupy the fields by 1885.
In 1888 was completed the San Pablo establishment, known as "El Fortín", which was the wonder of travelers, including engineer César Cipolletti, who put fruit production here as an example of the results obtained by irrigation.
The town is named after Colonel P. C. Belisle, who joined the army as a soldier during the war of Paraguay. He held several military positions, participated in the Desert Campaign and had involvement in the '80 Revolution as head of the escort of President Avellaneda squad.
In the twon work community offices, a sub- police station, the Magistrates Court, the Civil Registry, enrolled office, a first aid room, two clubs and several educational establishments.