The site was originally known as Paso Peñalva and inhabited since 1890. In 1895 it was one of the most used to cross the south arm of the Negro River. A ferry service and an inn operated there, established by Bonifacio Peñalva, who had arrived with the military expedition of 1879, and his son Cayetano.
The town was officially founded on September 30, 1933 by decree of President Agustín P. Justo, accessing the request for authorization for the application of Rodolfo Rosauer to do it with the name of Pomona, in homage to the Goddess of the Fruits of Greek mythology.
To its natural beauties, river, parks and gardens, today joins an educational infrastructure and services of some importance.
It may be mentioned Elementary School N° 7, the Agro-technical School and the Hostel School in Colonia Josefa, the permanent health post and the city library.
As for farming, in Pomona work fruit coolers sheds, sawmills and other basic industries that absorb the local production of peaches, pears, apples, quinces, nectarines and cherries.